I won’t be the first (or the last) to blog about what ‘ideal writing conditions’ look like. For what it’s worth, my essentials are as follows:
- Quiet. Some people need tunes blasting into their ears in order to zone out, but I simply cannot work with music playing. The only exception is music with no words, because I’m not tempted to sing along…
- Fast computer. Bit of a no-brainer, but if you need to type and research and Google stuff and confirm references then a slow word processor simply won’t do. I love my MacBook but it’s super old now. I’m actually quite pleased with my work laptop (Lenovo), which I connect to a massive monitor and proper keyboard and mouse
- Clear desk. Type A, OCD, uberorganised… call me what you will, I need space to be creative and I simply CANNOT CONCENTRATE if the world around me is a mess.
- Coffee. A Costa Gingerbread Latte, to be precise, or my own approximation using microwaved milk, instant coffee and Monin syrup – yum!
- Beautiful things. A bit general, this one, but I mean: my lovely pink stationery (Copywriter Barbie over here…) or a vase full of lilies at my kitchen table. Usually.
What do you need for writing bliss? Leave a comment below.